HAZLETON – Rep. Tarah Toohil (R-Luzerne) is encouraging eligible seniors living in the 116th Legislative District to take advantage of a Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture program that provides vouchers worth $20 that can be used to purchase produce at participating farmers markets and roadside stands.
The Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program was established in 2002 to promote the consumption of fresh, nutritious, locally grown fruits and vegetables among older Pennsylvanians.
To qualify, seniors must be 60 or older by Dec. 31, 2019. Proof of age and county residency are required. A Pennsylvania driver’s license or photo ID is sufficient to prove eligibility for the program, which runs from June 1 to Nov. 30.
Participants must also have a total household income, before taxes, of less than $23,107 for a single person and $31,284 for a couple. An individual is not eligible for the program if he or she resides in a nursing home, convent or residential facility where meals are prepared.
Vouchers are provided on a first-come, first-served basis by the Area Agency on Aging for Luzerne and Wyoming Counties. Four $5 vouchers will be handed out per person. Please contact the agency if there are more than two persons in a household.
Vouchers will be distributed at the following dates, times and locations in the 116th Legislative District during the months of June and July:
• Friday, June 7, Hazleton Active Adult Center, 24 E. Broad St., Hazleton, from 9 a.m. to
• Wednesday, June 12, Freeland Active Adult Center, 701 Chestnut St., Freeland, from
10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Thursday, June 20, Butler Twp. Active Adult Center, 411 W. Butler Drive, Drums, from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Wednesday, June 26, Mountaintop Active Adult Center, Wright Manor Apartments, 460 S. Main Road, Mountaintop, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Friday, June 28, Detweiler Farms (White Haven Area), 165 Tunnel Road, White Haven, from 10 a.m. to noon.
• Monday, July 1, Shickshinny Active Adult Center, 17 W. Vine St., Shickshinny, from 10 a.m. to noon.
There are currently more than 1,150 farmers statewide participating in the voucher program. To find a qualified location, visit RepToohil.com
and click on “PA Senior Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program.”
Representative Tarah Toohil
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Contact: Rep. Toohil’s Office